Gallery Players is casting for its upcoming production of Assassins. Book by John Weidman; music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim; based on an idea by Charles Gilbert, Jr. Director, Noel MacDuffie. Music Director, Benjamin Balatbat. Producer, Dominic Cuskern. Non-Equity only. No pay. Submit by March 18.
The show runs May 11-28 for a total of 15 performances. Performances are Thursday through Saturday evenings with additional matinees on Saturday and Sunday. Rehearsals start April 4 and will be held evenings and weekends at the theater (199 14th St, Park Slope, Brooklyn).
We are seeking as diverse a cast as possible. All races, ethnicities and orientations are strongly encouraged to apply.
- JOHN WILKES BOOTH: Baritone, actor mid-20s to 40, character has a genteel southern accent, a political zealot
- LEON CZOLGOSZ: Bass baritone, mid-20s to mid-30s, slight build
- GUISEPPE ZANGARA: Tenor, actor mid-20s to 40, has a heavy Italian accent
- SARA JANE MOORE: Soprano, middle aged, a former FBI informant
- LYNETTE “SQUEAKY” FROMME: Mezzo, mid-20s to mid-30s, flower child and member of Charlie Manson’s cult
- JOHN HINCKLEY: Baritone, actor early 20s to 30, ability to play guitar a plus
- CHARLES GUITEAU: Tenor, actor mid-30s to 50s, multi-careered charlatan with delusions of grandeur
- SAMUEL BYCK: Actor 30s to 50s
- LEE HARVEY OSWALD: Actor mid-20s to mid-30s, ability to do a rural Louisiana twang
- THE BALLADEER: Tenor, actor over 21, ability to play a guitar a plus
- THE PROPRIETOR: Tenor, actor 30s or older
Actors should prepare and email a monologue of their choice and 16 bars of a song.
All recorded monologues must be received by 11:59PM on Saturday, March 18.
Please send your monologue, plus a resume and headshot to the producer at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Callbacks will be held in-person at the theater the evenings of Tuesday, March 21 and Wednesday, March 22.
Bold, original, disturbing and alarmingly funny, this multiple Tony Award-winning theatrical tour-de-force is perhaps the most controversial musical ever written. Assassins lays bare the lives of nine individuals who assassinated or tried to assassinate the President of the United States, in a one-act historical “revusical” that explores the dark side of the American experience.
Gallery Players is located at 199 14th Street in Brooklyn. Take the F, G, or R train to Fourth Avenue / 9th Street.